Monday, January 28, 2008

'Roc' or 'Rock'?

jay z
Hey all! Just a quick line about the discussion on my fav radio show in the morning, the Steve Harvey Morning Show! As many of you know, Steve and the crew (minus Carla and baby, congrats!) were in Miami at the Joseph Caleb Center last Friday for a live show. I enjoyed so much Steve, Shirley Strawberry and Nephew Tommy's interaction with the crowd and the kids from Miami Central (ROCKETS!!!) and Miami Jackson (GENERALS!!!). Some of the kids from each school were brought to the show as part of Steve Harvey's mentoring problem. Steve shouted the Rockets and Generals out several times during the show, and dedicated a song for them...

The song was Jay-Z's 'Roc Boys', and so the issue began...

Steve spoke this morning about an email he received for a Miami listener who was disturbed that Steve dedicated this song for the kids, stating that the song is about drug dealing and the dope game. With the problems plaguing our communities in Dade (and around the country) and the areas the kids are from, I'm not surprised at the concern. I'm a young person, but I do understand that parents and our elders are trying to turn the wheel back to positivity. So there was discussion on today's show and on the morning show's EMAIL BOARD about what the lyrics to Jay's song really mean.

Come on y'all. I know the song begins as a "Speech!," but I doubt that the thanks to the 'connect' 'hustlas' 'lil' kim and dem' is an allusion to the hip-hop industry (now dubbed the 'rap game' yes like the 'dope game' they slangin' these tracks!). I think that there was some confusion from Steve and others about what the content meant, as much of street slang is used by rappers. And as we all should know, Jay-Z is one of the masters of artistically integrating metaphors and double-meaning in the bars of his songs. And its obvious the 'Roc Boys' refers to Jay's (and Dame's, former I guess) Rocafella crew. But let's be real...unless Jay-Z claims otherwise, the songs alludes to the drug game. After all, he has said that the album American Gangster was inspired by the movie that chronicled the life of former notorious dope boy Frank Lucas. So although the lyrics can relate to other aspects of life, including the entertainment business, my interpretation of the lyrics is they are in step with the theme of the album: the life of a kingpin (the rise & fall, listen to the whole CD people!).

Now I won't take sides on whether Steve Harvey and his crew should no longer play the song. That's treading the very thin line of free speech that I don't want to try and cross (the censors does a better job than I ever could). I just wanted to note my perspective on the lyrics of the song, and why I understand why someone from Dade would be disturbed that the song would be dedicated to the kids in Green & White and Green & Gold. I also don't want to infringe on Jay's artistic right to express himself and tell a story through his craft.

Gotta mention that those kids proved to be wonderful examples of what great future leaders are coming out of our communities and schools, despite the odds, so props to them, Dade County was well-represented! Much respect to Mr. Harvey and the Crew as well for recognizing them and inspiring future generations to excel.

No comments: